From The Unofficial Discogs Wiki
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision | Newer revision→ (diff)
IMPORTANT - EDITING THIS WIKI
Please note that this wiki has been 'locked down' for editing, creating new pages etc. This is due to continual spamming. In order to be able to edit, make new pages, upload images etc, your wiki username needs to be enabled to do this. Please contact "User Accounts" at https://www.discogs.com/support/new and request to edit the wiki, stating your wiki username. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
What Is This Wiki For?
This wiki can be used for any purpose to do with the Discogs database, for example working and collaborating on new ideas, providing extra information for users etc. Feel free to get 'stuck in'. This wiki uses the same underlying software as Wikipedia, so you can check out their help section for how to edit things.
Although you can directly edit the wiki's articles (content pages), be aware that each article also has a Discussion link. The link takes you to the article's Talk page, which is sometimes a more appropriate place for commenting on the article and its content, rather than in the article itself.
Unlike in other wiki software, article titles in this wiki can contain spaces and punctuation; there's no need to use CamelCase or hyphens/underscores in titles.
Discogs Guideline Development
Discogs_Guideline_Review_2009-Second_Round - Current proposals for updates to the Release Submission Guide and other Discogs guidelines for users. Discussion is open to all.
- A list of all articles in this wiki, in alphabetical order
- A list of recent changes to articles in this wiki, useful for seeing What's New
- A list of recent changes to articles you've chosen to monitor, if you're logged in
- Discogs Style Guide - Descriptions of music styles for each genre
- Discogs Glossary - Definitions of terms like ANV, rankhunter, etc.
- Discogs Credit Translations - Translations of standard credit roles
- Discogs Help Translations - Translations of Help files, including the RSG
Adding to the Database
- Errors - Possible errors to watch out for in release data
- Draft FAQ for Music People (artists, label owners, and their reps) - Answers to common questions, complaints, and demands from such people regarding info about them & their releases in Discogs
- Testing, Testing - A sandbox for playing with wiki formatting
- Useful resources outside of Discogs - Web sites including songwriter databases & other discographies
- HTML snippets of use - HTML examples (such as for the Notes field of a release) and Discogs formatting codes (for forums and artist/label profiles)
- Archive (obsolete and orphaned topics) - Topics that no longer need to be worked on in this wiki
- Manufacturing Process - Vinyl Records - Info about how vinyl records are made
- Deep Groove - the indentation in older records.
Artist Page Reorganization
- Dev-Artist-Page-Reorganization - The final template for the page sorting logic.
- Artist page reorganization - An older proposal for changes to the way releases are indexed on the Artist pages in Discogs
Labels brands and companies
- Packaging - Help make a list and description of all packaging types.
- Label/company brainstorming - Current exploration of alternative ways of listing label brands & companies in Discogs
- Label of release - Lazlo Nibble's explanation of the difference between label brands & companies, and how to ascertain what label(s) a release is "on"
- Label/company proposal - A proposal for credits-like data entry of labels & companies, including copyright
- Label project 2006 - An earlier attempt to assess the label/company relationship complexities presented by a number of prominent labels in Discogs, and cursory proposals for dealing with them
- Companies - A list of the kinds of companies & organizations that might be mentioned on a release
- Shadow cat# system - A proposal by Lazlo Nibble that would allow label pages to properly sort without normalizing the displayed cat#s
- Several artist-related proposals - A set of proposals by Corne Mo for improving the handling of multi-artist collaborations, membership of aliases in groups, and the display of all releases (including those by aliases) on an Artist page
- Master Release - Ideas for a system for grouping musically identical releases (editions for different territories, plus repressings and reissues), to reduce the length of artist/label pages
- Submission Form Error Checks Table - The main page to collect all submission form error checks, present and also proposed ones.
- Submission form checks to do - Ideas for validations the submission forms for releases & artist/label profiles could automatically do
- Outstanding v4 Issues - A list of all issues of concern in Discogs v4. It is intended to serve as a reference point, with collected questions and answers to cut down on the repeat posting in the various forums, and allow nik and teo time to answer all questions in an orderly fashion.
- Mission Statement - A draft of a Mission Statement for Discogs
API And Data Dumps
- API Resources - A list of libraries and examples in various languages related to the usage of the REST API and data dump files.