Useful resources outside of Discogs
From The Unofficial Discogs Wiki
All links taken from the mod forum thread of the same name, started by MR_E
If it isn't noted, the site is written in English
Writing Credits and the like
You can look up songwriters and composers via these online databases. These databases are not always a 100% match for what's printed on a release; they show the names of people who are currently designated to collect royalties. When searching, you may have better luck searching for partial matches, and experiment with omitting punctuation.
- BMI (US)
- ASCAP (US)
- SESAC (US)
- Copyright Catalog (US) - 1978–present
- Library of Congress Authorities (US)
- GEMA (DE) - search for writer/composer/publisher info, usually by title & optional writer/composer
- GEMA (DE) - search for a release ('carrier') by 1 or 2 pieces of info, such as title and performer
- SACEM (FR)
- SUISA (CH)
- APRA (Australasia)
- Buma/Stemra (NL)
- SABAM (BE) - search on Artist and/or Title / available in Dutch, French and English
- SIAE (Italy)
- SGAE (Spain) available in Spanish only
- SOCAN (Canada) has an online database, but it is open to SOCAN members (artists & publishers) only
- The Originals - a cover songs database
- Second Hand Songs - a cover songs database
- Covers Project - like Second Hand Songs, but more interested in covered-by chains and not too complete
- LP Discography - Country/Western LPs and related details
- Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives - lots of info, lots of inaccuracies
- hotdiscomix: Remix Services - selected services like Disconet, Hot Tracks, Ultimix, etc.
- Wangdangdula - Selective but very comprehensive 7" artists and labels discographies in blues, R&B, and early rock'n'roll.
- The Blues Database
- Wirz - Selective blues artists and labels discographies focusing on lesser known artists and labels.
Electronic genres and styles
- Roll Da Beats - Drum'n'Bass, used to be Tarzan.spoox.org
- KDJ Eurodance Encyclopaedia (there is a different layout found here)
- Euroflash » The Voice Of... - Italodisco database, by artist
- PsyDB - PsyTrance database
- Jazz Discography Project - Discography and complete sessionographies for selected major jazz artists and labels, 1950's til present.
- Jazz Standards - lyrics and music credits, limited to the standards (a standard is a composition that is held in continuing esteem and is commonly used in musical repertoires, e.g., as the basis of jazz arrangements and improvisations)
- Redhotjazz - 78 RPM Jazz discographies, searchable by label and bands.
Reggae, Dance Hall, Soca and associated styles
- AlgoRiddim - tracking riddims on thousands of Jamaican songs dating from the early sixties to the mid-eighties
- DanceHallMusic.de Riddimbase - Dancehall & Reggae (& Soca) Riddim Database, a merge of 3 previously existing riddim databases
- Jamaican Label Art and related ephemera - not searchable and the images aren't huge, but it could be useful
- Jamrid Jamaican Riddim Directory - two combined directories, all searchable
- NiceUp Jammin Reggae Archives - awful layout, good information
- Riddim Base - searchable database with samples
- Roots Archive - Jamaican Roots Reggae Albums from 1970 to 1985
- Soca Base - detailed database for soca music, with some samples
- Smokeyroom's Rythm Shower the most in-depth (Rainford Hugh) Lee Perry site
- Tapir's Reggae Discographies - for UK releases on specific reggae labels
- graphic table showing artist-soundsystem affiliations until 1985
- Soulfulkindamusic - Mainly 7" records discographies for major, classic era soul & R&B artists, groups and labels.
- The Belgian Pop & Rock Archives
- Muziekarchief - Discographies of Belgian artists (in Dutch)
- Database of The Finnish Institute of Recorded Sound 1901 - 1999 (FI/EN)
- Fono - Database of the Finnish Broadcasting Corporation YLE (FI/SWE)
- Finnmusic - Database for Finnish music (EN) - Focused on Finnish punk rock, but has spread to cover other genres as well.
- Dictionary Of Brazilian Popular Music (PORT/EN) - Authoritative resource for all Brazilian Music including biographies and discographies.
- Dutch Rock & Pop Institute (NL) - Holland Rocks (English), though they actually release more than Rock and Pop in conjunction with Conamus
- Norwegian Bandindex (NO/EN)
- Norsk Progrok Diskografi (NO)
- KPPG - Strona główna (PL) - Polish vinyl records site
- Archiwum Polskiego Rocka (PL) - Polish rock archive
- ANORMUS A Nordic Music Guide (SE/EN) - by Popöga, Swedish music zine since 1990, covering music from Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden or the Faeroes
- Progg.se (SE) Alternativ Musik I Sverige 1967-1984
- Punktipset (SE) Svensk Punk, Powerpop, Ska, NY Vag Och Rock 1977-1986
- Ohio Soul Recordings - R&B, soul and funk recordings made on 45 RPM records in the state of Ohio after 1965, and other music from Ohio labels
- (North and South) Carolina Soul - same format as Ohio Soul Recordings, different states
- Danpop - Danish releases. Comprehensive discography for national labels as well as danish versions of international labels releases, 1950's and 1960's only.
Label-specific Discographies and Info
- EMI Music - Ireland and UK Music Catalog
- Both Sides Now Album Discographies - quite in-depth listing of a variety of labels, mostly US based
- Don't Forget the Motor City - The Ultimate Guide to Motown (and related) recordings, 1956 - 1972, database structured around songs
- Helmut Weber's Gramophone Hobby Page - Informations for dating 78rpm records
- All Record Labels - label information, not discographies
- WEA Group 'target'-design CDs - original editions of Warner/Elektra/Atlantic CDs from 1983-1984
- Global Dog Productions - 7" records discograhphies for the majority of 50's and 60's record labels, mainly US releases.
- Sonet 7" Discography - Useful for finding release year not on record
- Vertigo Swirl Discography of all swirl Vertigo releases
- Björk - 77ísland, the official discography and the Bootography - Björk bootleg site, out of date (last updated in 2000)
- Depeche Mode Discography and Value Guide - with loads of release details
- Depeche Mode Remix Collector's Reference - database of official, promo and bootleg
- Pink Floyd CDs - Hans Gerlitz' Floyd CD Discography split into 47 PDFs
- Pink Floyd Bootlegs - Pink Floyd RoIO Database
- The Prodigy Discography - official, bootleg, fakes, freebies, and anything else
Assorted other sites of information
- Wolf's Kompaktkiste (DE/EN) - Electronic music info reference, covering a variety labels and artists
- The-Breaks.com AKA the (Rap) Sample FAQ - more fun than functional for most Discogs
Other research tools
- Archive.org - home to the Wayback Machine, moderately useful for finding additional information on slightly older submissions, from websites that are now defunct or have removed useful pages.
- Free Translation - including the major European languages, Russian, Japanese, and both Simplified and Traditional Chinese
- Google language tools
- Babelfish by Altavista; like google's, but better
- Word Reference - good for trying to figure out odd words, if automagic translation systems don't do well, or English isn't your native tongue
- Dictionary.Reference.com - helpful for figuring out some odd credits
- Merriam-Webster Online - another dictionary