From The Unofficial Discogs Wiki
Discogs Label project 2006
This is a project to improve the way labels and their associated companies are dealt with in the Discogs database. The outcome should be a clear way to list the complexities of labels and music industry companies. The solution will solve all the eventualities we uncover on the label and company pages, but should also be as easy to use as possible for new users. Adding to the complexity of this task is the fact that a lot of labels / companys have changed roles or names over the years, and reflecting this change in a coherent way will be one of the biggest challenges.
Labels and Companies
The company and label pages should be used to try to deduce the history and hierarchy of a company/label. What will be especially helpful is a) a complete history of the company/label, and b) a rundown of the current structure at least, with divisions, labels, sub labels etc, the catalog number differences, country differences, and anything else that can help identify the correct label for a release.
Of assistance would also be information or knowledge (possibly with additional fields in the label page) of local licencees and distributors which could, in some instances, even be competing companies.
- ARIA Licensing Copyright Owners & Labels - This is a list, c. 2005, of companies registered in Australia that hold copyrights for sound recordings (Schedule A) and the many labels (brands) controlled by those companies (Schedule B).
- Festival Records
- Zang Tuum Tumb
- Dischi Ricordi S.p.A.
- Universal Music Group
- Warner Music Group
Possible New Label Functions For Discogs
- 'Series' field -- releases that form part of a series can be seen on same page together. Either a single label, or sometimes across labels, eg. Columbia did the "Lansdowne Series" of jazz releases recorded at London's Lansdowne Studio. Possible idea: multiword (ie. either "Smith" or "Smith Series" accepted) 'tags' for releases so multiple tags can apply to the same release if necessary. Dunno about editability of the tags once in place though??
- Sub-label links with dates
- Company pages with just sub-labels, no releases of their own. May even need hierarchical companies to properly describe the structure (e.g. EMI).
- A territory drop down (similar to the country dropdown for releases)
- A 'label renamed' function with dates (how the heck will this work?!?)
- A way to show the different owners of a label during the labels lifetime
Terms used and formatting of pages
1) Labels - have releases, cat#'s, and all the other usual things on Discogs. 2) Companies - which own labels and do not release items directly. These are sometimes 'hacked' at Discogs by making a dummy release to add a company with no releases.
Please check out Formatting page for some ideas of how to lay out a label page using headers to organize information (please update this as nessasary).