From The Unofficial Discogs Wiki
* Master Release is a separate form / page / concept.
* A release can belong to only one Master Release.
"Create / Add To Master Release" process
The 'Create Master Release' process will be a separate entity from releases.
There are any number of ways that we could use to select the releases to add to a Master Release (tick boxes, entering release numbers, visual drag and drop). The chosen method should be easy to use if possible, minimizing user errors.
Perhaps the tick box method would be the most straightforward for the moment, and a possible method will be outlined here.
A 'Create / Add To Master Release' form link should go on the 'Page Options' panel on all artist, and label pages.
Clicking the 'Create Master Release' link will modify the standard artist / label page view with a tickbox beside each release, and a 'Create Master Release' button at the bottom of the page:
Clicking on the 'Add To Master Release" link will bring up a slightly different view:
Rules for adding items to a MR:
* A release can't be added to a MR if it already part of one (remove any releases already in a MR from the 'Create Master Release' view).
* The format descriptions Album, Mini-Album, EP, Maxi-Single, and Single will be used to ensure only the correct formats are added to a MR, as well as displaying the nature of the MR itself. There will be five categories:
** Single (inc. Maxi-Single)
** None (no Album etc tags)
A MR cannot contain more than one of the categories. When a release has none of the tags, it can be put in any MR category, _or_ it's own MR with other untagged releases.
"Edit Master Release" page:
Hitting the 'Save' button will save the information, and show us the View Master Release page:
"View Master Release" page
Artist and Label page view
The page options can be expanded to include the following:
[# Date], [# Label], [# Title], [# Format]
Master Release: [# Date], [# Title]
[# Cat#], [# Date], [# Artist], [# Title], [# Format]
Master Release: [# Cat#], [# Date], [# Artist], [# Title]
There should be a link to view a master release on the label and artist pages. This will show the same information (the whole Master Release) no matter if it is linked from the artist or label pages.
Release view / data
* There should be a link to the Master Release a release is part of from the release page.
* The release data should include the Master Release number it is part of (if possible).